Anthony Carr


I live in Cape Town and am a scout with the 3rd Pinelands Troop. By the time we begin our ascent up Kilimanjaro I will be 16 years old and hopefully in Grade 11. I started scouting at age 11 after we moved from Windhoek to Gordon’s Bay, joining the 1st Strand Scout Group. It was all a very new experience to me since I had not participated in Cubs, although I had done a fair bit of hiking with my uncle in Namibia. In mid 2002 we moved to Cape Town and I took up with the 3rd Pinelands Group.

I am very excited about going up Kilimanjaro and even if I don’t make it all the way to the top it will be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have always wanted to attempt one of the higher mountains in the world, to stand on top of the world. Since I’m an African, Kilimanjaro is ideal; I’ll be on top of Africa! I want to go to Kilimanjaro as soon as possible so I will still be able to see the glaciers on top of it. At my current young age, I will be very happy to be able to go on the trip. I also want to tour around the world a bit when I’m older and I see this as a way of starting that journey. I see Kilimanjaro as a way I can test my mental and physical limits.